Saturday 1 September 2012

AUTHOR'S CORNER:

WRITER... ARTIST OR INTELLECT?


I am an enigma, I am a star in the making, a legend, a mark on the world! I am an artist, or as I like to say, an Arteeest!  With my creative talents, my power over the blank page, my ability to create worlds within worlds of sheer imagination beyond anyone's wildest dreams!  I am the light house which stands amidst the blackness of the night; I am the torch that shines the way through the dark imagination.  I am colour and definition and all that which is light and all that which is dark, my art is representation of all that is beautiful and all that is ugly... Van Gogh eat your heart out!!

But wait!  I am intelligence, insight, sophistication...I am what sees and speaks that which is unspoken; I make human nature apparent and highlight all weaknesses and quirks to the point of naked exposure!  I am philosopher, debater, analyser of the human condition!  I am influencer of generations and inspiration to those who read my words.  I am old and wise, I am young and carefree, I am both harsh and gentle and I always say it as I see it!    

WHAT AM I?  A WRITER!

Which brings us to a very good question....writers, are they artists or intellects?  Well we certainly have the temperament of an artist, we fly off the handle at the slightest things and have been known to sulk for days and even go into deep depression!  We see the world through unusual eyes; bohemian behaviour is not so strange and what is deemed as corrupt by society does not always hold the same definition for us!  We like a crowd and we love parties and generally speaking not much shocks us!  Our friends can be any shape or size, creed, colour or sexual orientation; we believe profoundly in the 'live and let live' concept and hold it dear to our hearts!  To our minds, nothing is that unusual as to have us run for the hills, no thought is so outrageous that it puts the fear of God in us and no human behaviour is ever that bazaar.  In fact we love variation in our lives and in our friends; keeping company with predictable folk can be so boring at times!  And we love beauty and are touched by sights and sounds and all inspire us and ignite the creative flame in us.  beauty is in everything we see!

On the other hand, we are thinkers; we think about everything and analyse everyone and understand and know very well our opponents.  if you are in our circle of friends, know this for sure, there is nothing we do not know about you; we have studied you very carefully, gleamed information about you from things you have said, we have ascertained what makes you tick and studied your gestures and hand movements to perfection.  We know what kind of personality you have and more so, what kind of personality disorder you suffer from!  We have, through intense study of you, have come up with several theories about your troubled childhood!  

As friends; you find us very interesting, intelligent and sophisticated.  To you, we have such insight on the world, we have it figured out.  You come to us for advice and rely heavily on our level headed opinions to guide your life!  We are so well spoken and so well presented and words just drip off our tongues like honey from a beehive!  Yet you know (because you have experienced it on the rare occasion) that we can be so fickle and so bohemian in our ways that it is scary!  Confused?  I know I am!

So what are we?  Artist or intellect?  The answer is neither!  We are a hybrid of the two; a species which has evolved through a quirk or a fault in a gene pool just as man was emerging out of the stone age!  Most writers, if questioned, will tell you that they themselves are confused; the truth is, we still have not figured it out!  Part of us feels very artistic and we have the same passions and intensity as any painter, musician, actor etc.  Yet the other part is very much a philosopher, a thinker and quite often a therapist to our nearest and dearest! 

Of course, there is always the possibility that we are just very creative politicians, highlighting the wrongs of society through the guise of a novel or two.... 


No comments:

Post a Comment