Friday 21 December 2012

AUTHOR'S CORNER;

THE END OF THE WORLD!




In anticipation of the world ending today - the 21 December 2012; I went ahead and ordered frightfully expensive presents for my husband's birthday (on 31st December) and took absolutely no notice of that niggling feeling in the pit of my stomach.  I also happily bought my daughter a new frock and coat so that she can attend a Christmas party.  I have stocked up on food this winter and bought such unnecessary items like Shloer, The Soft Drink for Grown-ups!  Not to mention the juicy halal turkey that I have ordered (it costs like three times more for the privilege of having it slaughtered) and I didn't stop there....no, I even invited extra guests round for the festive season!  Well I had it on good authority that the world was ending today and that the 25th of this month wouldn't really count!  But guess what?  I'm still alive, and there was no eclipse or sudden flood or explosion...the Mayans got it wrong people!!  

Only now, I am faced with a big bill for hubby's gifts, a food cupboard full of absolutely too much food and ten (yes ten) bottles of Shloer The Soft Drink for Grown-ups and a turkey that's the size of a small county!  I have bought more sprouts than I care to cook or eat and I think there is a serious threat that I may actually be hosting a party come Christmas day....

I can't possibly imagine what on earth possessed me to go a little loopy over the last week; perhaps it was the knowledge of end of life or the winter depression seeping in, or the fact that kids and hubby have been hanging around and demanding (like it's the end of the world) that drove me to the edge, made me throw caution to the wind and go cyber shopping crazy!!  

SHAME ON ME, AND TO THINK THERE WAS I ON THIS VERY SAME BLOG PAGE A FEW WEEKS AGO PREACHING TO YOU GOOD PEOPLE NOT TO SPEND TOO MUCH ON CHRISTMAS!  I SEEM TO HAVE FALLEN INTO THE TRAP!  SHAME ON ME!  SHAME, SHAME!

Not only did I go a little mad on the cyber shopping saga, I found, that although I didn't really believe it, but in being armed with the knowledge that the world was going to end, I became quite honest and open with people and my opinions have been voiced on more than one occasion....

 

everyone I know is now tiptoeing around me, and the cat keeps hissing and arching its back every time I walk by!  

I am not a good winter person, (I am not good in summer either) and I find the grey skies depress me and the urge to do stupid things increase...needless to say I always regret it by February, when all the dust has settled and the winter blues have lifted and the bills are coming in!  Perhaps I ought to just not do anything in winter....

I patiently waited for the world to end today, sporting my best frock and with a full face of make up (well if I'm to perish I ought to look my best) and even ate whatever I liked and forgot all about my diet.  The end (gratefully) did not come, instead Tesco home delivery came with even more food and six more bottles of Shloer: I now own Shloer in all the range of flavours possible.  Thankfully I don't drink, otherwise no doubt i would have purchased a boozer this Christmas!  


All this end of the world malarkey has left me mentally drained!  I mean even if it was the end of the WORLD, who wants to know?  I mean what on earth can anyone do about it if it was the end of the WORLD?  It's the end of the world, not just your life, it's not like you can leave a will or make sure that your property and family are looked after....there will be no one there!  Who would be left to care?  So why tell people, why make such a song and dance about it?  What, people will watch?  There won't be anyone there to watch and even if they watched as they were departing, it won't matter, we would all eventually be dead anyway! 

I blame the media propaganda for my obsessive shopping!

Now that I am alive, I had better go and start planning Christmas dinner!


2 comments: