Monday 17 December 2012

AUTHOR'S CORNER;

TIME WARP



WHAT IS IT ABOUT CREATIVE PEOPLE?  WHAT MAKES THEM WANT TO CREATE A PIECE OF ART, COMPOSE MUSIC, WRITE THAT NOVEL? 




As any insane person or someone with a very vivid imagination will tell you, time is not just a flitting wind which we ride upon and eventually evaporate into space and dust!  Time is a continuum of events which neither perish nor move on!  The fact that we can't go back in time, is not evidence enough that time does not exist in parallel lines and that we actually always exist and are always in our various states of progression.  In other words, is it so far fetched that whilst the grown up me is here, the younger me is still alive and well in 1985, and the older me is doing very well in the year 2040, thank you very much!  Imagine time as an elastic band, it is neither backwards nor forwards, but bends and stretches in various directions accommodating with it all life within a concentrated blob.  Hence - I will always exist, even when I die, because just behind me, in a split second, there is another me, and another and another.  All continuing on a continuous loop, from birth to death, to birth to death etc...Immortality at its finest!!  

NO?  

Nah!  I didn't think so either!  Nice thought, but completely loopy and if any of you actually agreed with me, or even begun to believe me....guys, I think you need to see someone!

But here it brings us to the original question.   What makes creative people want to create pieces of art, music, literature?  What drives those people to sit alone in a room and paint, compose write, when there is nobody there to see them and more, there is no guarantee that anyone will ever see their work?  The answer, simple; they want to carve a space in time where they will always belong.
If my artwork is on canvas, it will be there a lot longer than I will.  If my music is composed, the generations after me will listen and keep my essence alive.  If I am on film, I will never age.  If my novel is in print, my words will influence people for years and years and years to come!  Immortality achieved - life (if only in creative form) forever!  


Is not Mozart alive and well and in our hearts, is there not a corner of the world which is familiar with his music in one form or another?  Does the Mona Lisa still smile at us?  And is Shakespeare not still whispering in our ears?  Have they not been kept alive?  Alive in an endless time warp that will far exceed any human expectancy.  


So if immortality was to ever exist for us mere mortals it can only exist through the parting of thought, through the vision of colour and texture, through the sounds of music and through the world of minds which will be transformed and transported and handed down from one generation to the other.  Like a star in the sky it will burn on long after its material form has perished!

1 comment:

  1. love it....i love all that drips from ur pen and all that is born of ur keyboard.............

    ReplyDelete